« Back to all recent discussions

GS1200-8 - Management VLAN (Firmware V1.00(ABME.4)C0)

senfsossesenfsosse Posts: 1
edited March 7 in Ideas
Hello,

In firmware V1.00(ABME.4)C0 for the GS1200 switch series there is a new feature implemented:
  1. ...
  2. Management VID is VLAN 1 only.
According to the wording it seems the management VLAN is fix on VLAN 1 and this VLAN cannot be changed by the owner.

While limiting management to a single VLAN is quite desireable, it is suboptimal to limit it to VLAN 1 without the possibility to change this setting according to local needs. Actually, it is best practise to move away management from VLAN 1 (which is the default VLAN and therefore prone to unwanted traffic/attacks). Furthermore it is best practise to not use VLAN 1 at all due to security considerations.

I'd like to open a feature request to enable the administrator to individually set a management VLAN as is the case with the GS1900 series from Zyxel.

Kind regards,
Thomas

#Home_Switch_Mar_2019
Tagged:

Answers

• Zyxel_StevenZyxel_Steven Posts: 226  Zyxel Moderator
    @senfsosse,
    Thanks for your feature request and welcome to ZYXEL COMMUNITY HOME FORUM!
    I have moved this post to Ideas Discussions. And we will evaluate it. :)
  • yggdrasilyggdrasil Posts: 1
    I'd like to second senfsosse. I recently bought a GS1200 as an extension to my GS1920 in my small-business+home setup. Not being able to use the same VLAN ID to use for my internal management network like I use everywhere else is an annoyance to say the least.