« Back to all recent discussions

Reflash NAS540 via SD card slot? (Recover from probable Hack)

Clay_JF2019Clay_JF2019 Posts: 22  Junior Member
edited January 7 in Questions
Suspected firmware hack. As detailed below I have no network access beyond opening web login page and occasional pings. But something is still running since ping and initial web page sometimes loads. 

So is there any unofficial way to reflash last firmware using SD card and power on/ reset buttons? Or any serial port/JTAG methods to access the system without network? Just stabbing around here for suggestions of where to start device recovery. Not big Linux system tech guru. But get me a few leads and I can research. 

Web Login won't complete. No SSH or Telnet (connection refused). Ping and Web login start screen are up and down availability (sometimes connection refused on web). Pulled disks after deciding it was not a RAID rebuilt. Disks were often on in odd pairings as often as all on. Reset does not appear to work - even if I hear short 1 beep or long double beep...and beeps do not always occur. Tried reset before and after pulling disks.Power and button booted several times before and after pulling disks. 

Kind of like to recover disk data. But realized it might be trashed or encrypted. But if I can get hardware back into operation I do have originals of most important stuff on other offline disks. Heh I might be asking if about security hardening if I get to things working again. Suspect enabling WebDAV without some work was not wise.

#NAS_Jan_2019

Answers

• MijzelfMijzelf Posts: 487  Advanced Warrior Member
    I have a recovery script for the 326 here. AFAIK it should also work for the 540, if you provide the right firmware file, as written in the readme, and rename nas3xx_check_file to nas5xx_check_file. But no guarantees.
  • Clay_JF2019Clay_JF2019 Posts: 22  Junior Member
    Sounds good. I have downloaded the firmware file already.
    But where is script and readme?  Was it supposed to be linked or pasted in post?
    I'll try searching forum for nas3xx_check_file 
    Hmmm...is it inside http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/NAS326/ ?   I can probably figure out how to unpack .tgz file fairly easy. But prefer to avoid unpacking and searching irrelevant files. 

Worse  if its in .zpkg I haven't got a clue how to open that.  Sort of assuming metadata is configuration/compiler info or something esoteric though. Sounds like Zyxel tool needed too.

Also possible I do not have access if its in a "need to know" directory.

Sorry for the confusion. The files is http://downloads.zyxel.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/NAS326/zyxel_support_send_instruction.zip. It should be extracted to an sd card or usb stick.

Just cold power boot NAS540 with media inserted? or do any buttons need to be held down during power up?

Also am I correct that files need to be put on USB stick inserted in back of NAS540 instead of SD card? How should USB stick be formatted - FAT32/FAT16/ext2/etc ?  Using Ubuntu or some other Linux desktop probably recommended if ext2/3/4 formatted I guess especially for copy. But if Windows file copy or some easily found utility works OK I would rather do that.

Eek! Do I need to worry about marking files with Linux execute and user/group/world privileges for this boot procedure? Is there a "proper" use of Linux tar command that will do all that automatically on a USB stick? Again only passingly familiar with Linux. Enough to know I need to ask questions rather than thrash. Especially as NAS540 may have different rules during boot (e.g. FAT16 capable and looking for certain file names regardless of file system rights).

I assume copy all the enclosed file-folder structure from .tgz archive with modifications as described. Including readme.  Will the check file script get executed

Thanks for some reason links did not highlight in Chrome.
    The stick/sd card needs to have a FAT filesystem, and you can use windows to put the files on it. No need for execute flags or owner metadata. FAT doesn't upport that.
    Also am I correct that files need to be put on USB stick inserted in back of NAS540 instead of SD card?
    Incorrect. The 'back usb thing' is only required for a nsa325, which has an USB3 port on front, which drivers are not yet loaded when the stick is probed. An nas5xx also supports an SD card, for this purpose.
    Still missing something. No flash or even reset.

Loaded SD card with files and folder.
    Tried simple power off then on.
    Long wait for flash (>10 minutes & just power light on steady).
    Power reboot.
    No joy. Still configured to IP and no access.

Also tried holding reset button 30 seconds while reapplying power. (Common idea for device flashing.)

Understanding is use SD slot - not USB (no USB drivers at boot from what I gather).

Assumed from mount paths that files in folder were supposed to remain in folder when copied to SD.  Is that wrong?
    Oops! missed "rename nas3xx_check_file to nas5xx_check_file"

But what about contents of that file?  Is it supposed to be the MD5sum or what?

I'll try it unchanged but I expect that the contents are device or firmware unique. Unless its an authentication password key. But check file sounds SHA1/MD5SUM like.  I suspect for whole or part of ROM -- not for the flash file. After all that has already been entered and checked.

Will be glad if I am wrong about that and flash works with simple renaming of file.
    Understanding is use SD slot - not USB (no USB drivers at boot from what I gather).

It should work both.

Assumed from mount paths that files in folder were supposed to remain in folder when copied to SD.  Is that wrong?
    No, that's right.

The script /etc/init.d/rcS is responsible for executing the script on the stick/SD card. You can read here how that works.
    Nevermind file content question. 

Renamed everything including paths inside files to reflect nas5xxx instead of nas3xx. Retrying.
    Used notepad to edit file content. Including 2 references in script.  Seem to remember that is OK.

Anyways updated to cover if NAS540 uboot expects folder named nas5xx_fw instead of nas3xx_fw

Retrying.
    Summary:

unpacked .zip from http://downloads.zyxel.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/NAS326/zyxel_support_send_instruction.zip

copied unpacked contents to

FAT formatted SD card (old FAT16 not FAT32 or other extended FAT)

edited file and folder names and file content from nas3xx to nas5xx including paths and shell script references using Notepad for internal file editing.

changed MD5sum in nas3xx_md5sum to match NAS540 firmware being flashed using Notepad
      (will recheck this. Not sure now that MD5sum was for unpacked firmware or whole download)
      (will also recheck this path)

renamed firmware to ras.bin and placed it inside renamed nas5xx_fw folder

Placed SD card in NAS540 slot

unplugged power from NAS540 
    reapplied power
    waited until NAS Seeker found NAS540
    No Joy

repeated procedure but held reset power down as power was restored for 30 seconds
    No joy

Conclusion:
    I will recheck nas5xx_md5sum for correct info & if incorrect I will report results after correction

Hmmm...It would be good to know if the reflash might have been successful but not a problem solver.

Could a successful reflash leave a hostile configuration or addons in place with a disabled reset button? 

I have been making the assumption that the NAS540 will be reset as part of firmware flash.
    Or that reflash will at least restore function to the reset button. And that any corrupt add-on routines will get flushed from onboard memory. Is this a bad assumption?

The point of my reflash is to regain control by removing any changes to firmware and stored configuration including addons not stored on disks.

MD5sum was wrong.  I had copied M5sum for whole firmware .zip.   

Applied new MD5sum for just the ras.bin firmware 639d3e791d222f65377a612cf0cb582c in this case. 

Retried.  
    IDK if its different results or not.
    NAS starter seems unable to detect. But had some detection issues before.

Possibly firmware download got corrupted
    Will probably need to download firmware again. Confirm .zip MD5sum matches.
    Plug in new firmware MD5sum and copy new ras.bin
    Try yet again.

---
    P. S. still do not know if I need to do more than 

remove power
    insert SD
    restore power
    wait x minutes
    run NAS Starter

IDK if there should be any buttons pushed/held down or specific lights sequence to wait on 

Seem to have flashed something. Because NAS Starter no longer can probe NAS540 out.

Not good. But assuming it can still be recovered.

Is the uboot.bin really the same for NAS540 as NAS320? 
    I can see how it might be. But I am looking for factors that might have caused bad flash.
    Ones that I can correct.